Disciples Making Disciples Transparent Background
facebook twitter rss podcasst livebutton

History

1954
On July 28, 1954 a group of 53 people, meeting in the abandoned Benbrook Elementary School gymnasium, felt a need for a new Baptist church in the area. They requested membership into Ridglea West Baptist Church for the purpose of starting a mission in Benbrook. On August 4, a committee of four was elected to locate a building site for the church. The First Baptist Church of Benbrook was organized as a Southern Baptist Church on August 15th with 66 charter members. The church entered its first building on McKinley Street on Christmas Sunday.
 
1956
Only fifteen months after entering the first building, an educational building was completed to meet the needs of a growing congregation.
 
1961
In October a new auditorium was completed. This building was designed to be converted to a two-story classroom building whenever a new auditorium might be built.
 
1966
On January 9th dedication services were held for the new 4-bedroom, 3-bath parsonage and the new educational building containing six Sunday School departments, new Fellowship Hall, and a kitchen.
 
1980’s
The First Baptist Church of Benbrook celebrated the retiring of the debt with a “Burning of the Note” ceremony during the morning worship service. On June 10, 1979, FBC Benbrook voted to work towards the ambitious goal of building a new worship center. That decision was not only accompanied by years of working together with architects and contractors to build the facility but also with the commitment of its members to financially contribute to the building fund above and beyond their contributions to the existing ministries of the church. All of those sacrifices bore fruit with the dedication of the new worship center on November 30, 1980. A lay-led program was initiated to remodel the old auditorium into a two-story educational building. The classrooms were completed and the first classes were held in September of 1982.
 
Mid 1980’s
First Baptist Church started two local missions that were constituted into churches: Victory Baptist Church in Johnson County and Trinity Hills Baptist Church in Benbrook.
 
Late 1980’s
The church began a television ministry that provided our worship service for the city of Benbrook on the Benbrook Cable Network. (That television ministry was discontinued in the late 90s)
 
Early 1990’s
The church began an active apartment ministry in Fort Worth and began supporting two pastors in the former Soviet Union. The church had an active ministry in Mexico for over 20 years helping to start mission work in Torreon, Chihuahua and Matamoras.
 
2008
The church completed Phase 1 of the Master Plan, a new main entrance and new Preschool and Children’s Ministry space.
 
Clicky